DA: Pair lied about crash that killed Montco teen
LOWER POTTSGROVE, Pa. - December 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man who was convicted of killing a pedestrian in 2004 while driving after drinking beer is now charged with killing a teenage pedestrian in Montgomery County.
Authorities further allege he and a female passenger lied to police about who was behind the wheel.
The District Attorney's office said Robert Norman Sitler, Jr. and Denise Dinnocenti, both of Collegeville, Pa., were arrested in connection with the November 12th crash in Lower Pottsgrove that killed 16-year-old Timothy Anthony Paciello Jr.
Paciello was struck while he was trying to cross East High Street near Sunnyside Avenue at 8:55 p.m. on November 12th. He had walked across the westbound lane and had paused in the center left turn lane, waiting traffic to clear.
Investigators say, at the same time, Sitler was tailgating another vehicle while traveling westbound on E. High Street.
The vehicle in front signaled a right turn and Sitler veered into the center lane, passed the car and struck Paciello, the DA's office said.
However, after the crash, investigators say Dinnocenti - who was allegedly riding in the front seat - told police and bystanders that she had been driving. The pair also allegedly told police Dinnocenti was driving because Sitler had consumed beer.
Two children were in the back seat, investigators said. Police say they instructed those children to lie and say Dinnocenti was driving.
Both even filed claims with an insurance company, the DA said, in which they claimed Dinnocenti was driving.
However, both were re-interviewed on November 17th and that's when, police say, both admitted to providing false information about who was driving.
Furthermore, investigators say Donnecenti agreed to say she was the driver because Sitler was involved in a pedestrian crash in 2004 in Alabama, in which he was convicted of Vehicular Homicide/Manslaughter because he had consumed beer before driving.
Sitler is charged with Homicide by Vehicle, Insurance Fraud, Unsworn Falsification to Authorities, False Reports, Corruption of Minors, Conspiracy, Reckless Driving, Speeding and other related charges. Dinnocenti is charged with Insurance Fraud, Unsworn Falsification to Authorities, False Reports, Corruption of Minors, Conspiracy and other related charges.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, pedestrian struck, local/state
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 23 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Video: Obama misspells "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in Aretha... 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
23 min ago