Prison inmate, from Philadelphia, found hanged
ALBION, Pa. - December 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- A coroner says an inmate found unresponsive in a state prison in northwestern Pennsylvania had hanged himself.
Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook says 51-year-old Larry Cooper, of Philadelphia, was found unresponsive in his cell about 5:30 p.m. Sunday at the State Correctional Institution-Albion.
Cook says Tuesday he has ruled the death a suicide.
State corrections officials say Cooper was serving a sentence of 22½ to 45 years and had been in the prison system since July 1981. Cooper had been moved to prison in Albion, about 25 miles southwest of Erie, in September 2010.
Cooper was serving time for an unspecified conspiracy conviction.
Prison officials treated him in the infirmary then transferred him to UPMC Hamot in Erie where he was pronounced dead Sunday night.
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 17 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 37 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 30 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 32 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
28 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
17 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
32 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
37 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos