Murder charges in Doylestown crash that killed girl, 9
DOYLESTOWN, Pa.- December 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities have filed murder charges against the man they say caused a crash that killed a 9-year-old girl in Doylestown, Bucks County.
37-year-old Drew Bodden, still nursing serious injuries, slowly made his way into the Doylestown Police Department Thursday.
He was the driver in a deadly Thanksgiving Eve accident. Now he's facing murder charges for the death of 9-year-old Holly Huynh.
"The charge of murder in an auto crash is not particularly common, but neither are the facts that our investigation has revealed," said Bucks County D.A. David Heckler.
Detectives say Bodden was going a minimum of 140 miles per hour in his souped-up Shelby Cobra Mustang on the Route 611 bypass near Broad Street when he hit a Honda CR-V, killing little Holly, severely hurting her grandmother, Suzanne Berry, and his own girlfriend, who was riding in his car.
"Traveling at that rate of speed is beyond reckless," said Heckler.
Police say the Honda ended up off the side of the road about 200 yards from the point of impact. The Mustang travelled another 100 yards further and landed in the median.
Arriving at court Thursday, Bodden had no comment as to how fast police say he was driving. He is facing 3rd degree murder charges and two counts of aggravated assault by vehicle.
He was out of prison Thursday night, heading home on a $500,000 unsecured bail.
Investigators we spoke with say it was one of the largest accident sites they've ever seen. Drugs and alcohol were not involved.
"That makes even more egregious as a prosecutor," said Assistant D.A. Bob James, "because his judgment was not impaired."
Suzanne Berry, 55, remains in the hospital, unconscious with a severe brain injury.
Holly would have turned 10 on Tuesday. Her obituary, posted on the website for Shelly Funeral Home, said she was a 4th grade student at the Groveland Elementary School where she was a straight A student.
Bodden is due back in court in February.
Photo of Holly Huynh from Shelly Funeral Home
pennsylvania, bucks county, accident, local/state
- Death toll lowered in Okla. twister; 24 dead 30 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- Delaware trash can explosion leaves 1 injured 9 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel
- NJ ex-priest arrested after working with kids
- Larry Holmes wins round in Pa. parking dispute
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Death toll lowered in Okla. twister; 24 dead
30 min ago