South Philadelphia homicide has link to mob
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - December 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned the shooting death of a man on Wednesday afternoon in South Philadelphia has a link to the mob.
Officers were called out to the 2800 block of Iseminger Street in South Philadelphia Wednesday afternoon to investigate a murder.
Only Action News was on scene as Philadelphia Police took alleged mob soldier 41-year-old Anthony Nicodemo into custody for questioning in the murder of Gino DiPietro.
The shooting happened around 3:00 p.m. on the 2800 block of Iseminger.
DiPietro was getting into his pickup truck when he was shot dead.
"I heard the five gunshots, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. I know they were gunshots," said neighbor Joe Lyons.
Witnesses soon told police the shooter fled in a Black Honda SUV.
A license plate number was provided that registered to the home of Nicodemo. Police responded to the home on South 17th street and found the SUV in the back alley and Nicodemo inside the home.
"My family knew him real well. I can't believe this happened. I was at work when I heard about it," said John Smith, Jr.
That was the reaction of friends who knew DiPietro, a father of two adult children.
But sources say DiPietro may have also had ties to the mob.
Nicodemo had previously been implicated in an illegal $22 million sports betting operation running out of the Borgata in Atlantic City. He was handed a suspended sentence, and soon was back on the streets.
Authorities are also looking to see if this killing has any ties to the ongoing racketeering trial of reputed mobster Joseph "Uncle Joe" Ligambi and six of his underlings. They are accused of using threats of violence to run illegal gambling and loan shark operations. Ligambi is described as the current boss of the Philadelphia Mob.
He and 6 of his associates are accused of using threats of violence to run an illegal gambling and loan sharking operation.
Police also say they are looking for another person in connection with this case. So far, no one has been charged.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 18 min ago
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 50 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 18 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 18 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 18 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
18 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
18 min ago