3 students faint at Montco school, others evaluated
UPPER POTTSGROVE, Pa. - December 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- The superintendent of a Montgomery County school said spreading panic may be partially to blame for an incident that sent more than 20 students to the hospital on Thursday.
Rescuers were called to the Pottsgrove Middle School at 10:18 a.m.
Superintendent Shellie Feola said in a statement that it all began when three students participating in choral practice became light-headed and fainted.
Emergency responders were contacted as additional students reported lightheadedness.
A total of 22 students were eventually transported to two area hospitals for further evaluation.
The building was evacuated as a precaution.
Feola said that while emergency responders have not been able to determine what caused the students to faint, they have determined the building is safe.
"We believe that students who witnessed the first three children faint became anxious and panic ensued. We ask that you reassure your children this evening that this was an isolated incident and that they are safe when they return to the middle school tomorrow," Feola said in a statement.
Students were being bused home from the high school and will not be able to get back into the middle school this afternoon.
School will resume as scheduled on Friday.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, school, carbon monoxide, local/state
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 4 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders 33 min ago
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 33 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply