Police: Fleeing shoplifter struck, killed by car in Reading, Pa.
READING, Pa. - December 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a 22-year-old eastern Pennsylvania man was struck by two cars and killed after police say he shoplifted pants from Walmart and was fleeing from security.
The man was identified as Tyler Shepler of Muhlenberg Township in Berks County.
Investigators say Shepler was trying to steal a few pairs of jeans Thursday afternoon when security officers stopped him in the lobby of the store.
Police say he ran across the parking lot and through a grassy area onto the highway, where one car hit him and knocked him down and another car ran him over.
After he was hit, police said they found Shepler lying on the ground gasping.
He was taken to Reading Hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
pennsylvania, reading, theft, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police