Police: Fleeing shoplifter struck, killed by car in Reading, Pa.
READING, Pa. - December 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a 22-year-old eastern Pennsylvania man was struck by two cars and killed after police say he shoplifted pants from Walmart and was fleeing from security.
The man was identified as Tyler Shepler of Muhlenberg Township in Berks County.
Investigators say Shepler was trying to steal a few pairs of jeans Thursday afternoon when security officers stopped him in the lobby of the store.
Police say he ran across the parking lot and through a grassy area onto the highway, where one car hit him and knocked him down and another car ran him over.
After he was hit, police said they found Shepler lying on the ground gasping.
He was taken to Reading Hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
pennsylvania, reading, theft, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 24 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd 15 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Florida Rep. Radel returns from rehab
57 min ago