Thief steals Christmas from Feltonville family
PHILADELPHIA - December 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- A thief appears to have stolen Christmas from a Feltonville family Wednesday.
The stockings are hung, the Christmas lights are up and blinking, but underneath the Aviles' family Christmas tree the gifts are now gone.
"Lotions, perfumes, Ugg boots, and an iPad were there and that was it," says Melissa Aviles.
Early Thursday morning, Aviles believes someone broke in through the window at her home in the 4900 block of Boudinot Street.
She panicked when she came home.
"Someone broke in, someone broke in!" she said.
The thief also swiped a laptop and a PS-3 console, and Melissa says, they got past Nana, the family's 6-year-old pit bull.
"My kids are older, but it hurts me to see them not have Christmas," she said.
Wednesday night the widow and three of her five kids tried to focus on better times.
"This is from Disney World where we went before my dad passed away," said Salena Aviles.
Melissa's husband Angelo passes away three years ago, and the family moved to Philadelphia in October to start fresh.
"Financially, it has been rough. At least there was something under there. It's the thought that counts right?" she said.
The Aviles family is going to try to have the best Christmas they can, but they would love for police to have a suspect for them as a present.
A neighbor reported seeing someone on the porch around 6:00 a.m. Wednesday morning.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police.
christmas, theft, holidays, feltonville, philadelphia, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police