Driver killed, 5 injured in Tioga crash
TIOGA - December 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- A driver was killed and five other people were injured in a crash in the Tioga section of the city.
It happened overnight Sunday.
Police say the driver of a Hyundai, travelling west on Erie Avenue, was speeding and struck a male pedestrian trying to cross the street.
The vehicle also sideswiped a Ford Windstar and continued about 12 blocks down.
Two SUVs were stopped at an intersection at Erie and Germantown avenues.
The driver slammed on the brakes, which caused the car to slide sideways and strike one of the SUVS.
The impact of that crash caused the SUV to strike the other one that was stopped at the light.
The driver of the Hyundai was taken to Temple University Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Five other people, inside the SUVs, were taken to the hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
The pedestrian refused medical treatment.
Authorities are still investigating what sparked the incident.
philadelphia, tioga, accident, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ