Local doctor remembers life in Newtown, Conn.
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - December 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Action News spoke with a local doctor who grew up in Newtown, Connecticut and still has family living in the area, and who says his mother actually worked with one of the victims.
"Shock, dismay, disbelief probably most of all," said Dr. Sunny Gupta.
And then came the sadness and anger for Dr. Sunny Gupta, a Philadelphia doctor who lived in Newtown, Connecticut until the year 2000.
"We would joke around and say 'It is the safest place in America.' There's no question, we would never, ever imagine something like this to happen in our town," Dr. Gupta.
Sunny's parents still live in town, less than three miles from Sandy Hook Elementary School, the site of Friday's mass murder of 26 students and staff.
"I felt sick to my stomach," he said. "It was like a pit in my stomach for a while."
Gupta's mom is a retired special needs educator who had spent time working with one of the victims, 1st grader Josephine Gay.
The devastating news that comes less than 2 weeks before Christmas has people grieving rather than rejoicing this holiday season.
"I heard stories about how a lot of the homes in ct are bringing down their Christmas decorations and lights out of respect," he said.
Spirits are low, but Gupta believes the tight-knit community is strong enough to bounce back. Gupta says the vigils and moments of silence happening in Philadelphia and all across the country will help to slowly heal the many broken hearts.
"It is really comforting to know that we're not alone, and that the whole world is reacting," said Gupta.
connecticut, school shooting, pennsylvania, local/state, jennifer joyce
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 47 min ago