3 children taken to hospital after SUV hits church in North Philadelphia
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - December 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say three children were taken to the hospital after an SUV crashed through the lobby of a church in North Philadelphia on Monday.
The crash happened at the Deliverance Church at 21st and Lehigh streets, which was hosting a Head Start class at the time.
Police say the driver, an 83-year-old woman, hit the gas instead of the brakes and drove through the front glass window.
A 4-year-old suffered facial cuts, a 5-year-old suffered a foot injury and another 5-year-old was knocked down but suffered no obvious injuries. Still, all three children were taken to the hospital.
The driver was hyperventilating after the crash, police said, and was taken to the hospital to be checked out.
There were no life-threatening injuries.
Police said they are investigating but it appears to be just an accident.
philadelphia, north philadelphia, accident, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 9 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad