Montco students celebrate with holiday concert
ELKINS PARK, Pa. - December 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Student musicians came together in the spirit of the holiday season Wednesday at the McKinley Elementary School in Elkins Park.
The school held its annual winter concert.
The young students performed music in three groups, the school band, string ensemble, performing Kwanza Calypso, and the chorus.
Heaven Vance always knew she wanted to sing.
"It has always been one of my dreams," she said.
"We practice every week on Wednesday, and we practice for about an hour and a half," said Kelsey Connorwatts who plays the clarinet.
Most students in the band and string ensemble have been playing an instrument for at least two years.
Cameron Flores says he's been playing the violin since the third grade.
5th grader Joby O'Brian decided to learn the cello.
"I really like it because all my older siblings, they played other instruments, and I thought I'd try something new," said Jody.
The school auditorium is always full of parents and children for McKinley's annual winter concert.
"This is her last year here," said proud father Ed Chandler. "We love this school."
Teachers are confident that their students will leave the school more well-rounded individuals after having this musical experience.
"I think the music just enriches them on so many levels," said music teacher Rob Ford.
"We're not expecting that everyone is going to become a member of the Philadelphia Orchestra, but our goal is that they are music lovers and appreciators, and we want to give that to them as a lifelong gift from us," said music teacher Ellen Strange.
The young musicians will begin their Christmas break on Friday, December 21st. When they return to school on January 2nd, they will begin practicing for their spring concert in May.
music, students, school, montgomery county, pennsylvania, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting 40 min ago
- Record Warmth! 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere 26 min ago
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Record Warmth!
1 min ago