DA: Man in standoff dead, over 100 shots fired
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - December 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia man is dead following a nine-hour standoff with police in Harrisburg.
Authorities say more than 100 shots were fired at a central Pennsylvania housing project.
Dauphin County District Attorney Ed Marsico says 24-year-old Abel Roman was found dead early Tuesday morning following a dangerous standoff that left one officer wounded.
The county coroner says Roman fatally shot himself.
Authorities were trying to serve a warrant on Roman at a Harrisburg apartment when he reportedly fired at police after locking himself inside the housing project.
Neighbors were ordered to stay inside or not allowed to return to their homes as gunfire periodically rang out.
Marsico says the gunfire was the most shots ever fired at the county's special crisis response team since its inception 20 years ago.
The wounded officer is expected to recover.
standoff, harrisburg, pennsylvania, local/state
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 57 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 6 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden 34 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 7 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School 58 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos