DA: Man in standoff dead, over 100 shots fired
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - December 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia man is dead following a nine-hour standoff with police in Harrisburg.
Authorities say more than 100 shots were fired at a central Pennsylvania housing project.
Dauphin County District Attorney Ed Marsico says 24-year-old Abel Roman was found dead early Tuesday morning following a dangerous standoff that left one officer wounded.
The county coroner says Roman fatally shot himself.
Authorities were trying to serve a warrant on Roman at a Harrisburg apartment when he reportedly fired at police after locking himself inside the housing project.
Neighbors were ordered to stay inside or not allowed to return to their homes as gunfire periodically rang out.
Marsico says the gunfire was the most shots ever fired at the county's special crisis response team since its inception 20 years ago.
The wounded officer is expected to recover.
standoff, harrisburg, pennsylvania, local/state
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Very cold today, Saturday storm 53 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges 1 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 48 min ago
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in action 1 min ago
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church 59 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 58 min ago
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: Top Holiday Tech Gifts 2013!
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in...
1 min ago
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in...
58 min ago