DA: Man in standoff dead, over 100 shots fired
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - December 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia man is dead following a nine-hour standoff with police in Harrisburg.
Authorities say more than 100 shots were fired at a central Pennsylvania housing project.
Dauphin County District Attorney Ed Marsico says 24-year-old Abel Roman was found dead early Tuesday morning following a dangerous standoff that left one officer wounded.
The county coroner says Roman fatally shot himself.
Authorities were trying to serve a warrant on Roman at a Harrisburg apartment when he reportedly fired at police after locking himself inside the housing project.
Neighbors were ordered to stay inside or not allowed to return to their homes as gunfire periodically rang out.
Marsico says the gunfire was the most shots ever fired at the county's special crisis response team since its inception 20 years ago.
The wounded officer is expected to recover.
standoff, harrisburg, pennsylvania, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 8 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse 21 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 25 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began 4 min ago
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 50 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad