Fire rips through 16 apartment units in Delaware
NEWARK, Delaware - December 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Fire has forced more than a dozen Delaware families out of their homes and just before the holidays.
The massive fire broke out just before 2:00 a.m. and swept through over a dozen units at the Hidden Creek Commons apartments, located on Hobart Drive in Newark early, Wednesday morning. Now, residents are picking up the pieces.
Firefighters arrived to heavy smoke and flames tearing through the roof and debris flying into the air. Newark fire companies, crews from Wilmington, Hockessin, and others responded to the scene.
The fire was placed under control just before 3:30.
Investigators from the Delaware State Fire Marshal's office were on scene until mid-morning, sifting through the rubble.
The Delaware State Fire Marshal's office says a cigarette sparked a blaze
Some residents were allowed back inside to gather some belongings. Bag by bag, they carried out their clothing and possessions.
Exactly how many people have been displaced remains unclear. The Red Cross and management from Hidden Creek Commons are assisting residents.
fire, newark, delaware, local/state
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 27 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 7 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
7 min ago