Body in Delaware River ID'd as missing woman
BENSALEM, Pa. - December 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Bensalem police say the remains of a woman reported missing Wednesday night have been recovered from the Delaware River.
Crews found the body of the missing Bensalem woman Thursday morning a short distance from where investigators believe she fell in.
Police say 73-year-old Jean Carson went to smoke a cigarette while at a party with friends and never came back.
"Apparently she was pretty active for her age, 73. She was still employed. She was in pretty good shape," said Sgt. Andrew Aninsman.
Carson was at a friend's house in the 900 block of Haunter Lane in Bensalem. The Neshaminy Creek is directly behind the home.
Her friends tell police they last saw her around 10:00 p.m. Wednesday night.
"When everyone was wrapping up to go home, they couldn't find the victim and they called the police," said Sgt. Aninsman.
About 65 emergency responders searched the area for her Wednesday night and again in the morning.
They found her body around 11:15 a.m. under the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.
"She had a jacket on that actually acted like a flotation device which is why she went the distance she did," explained Sgt. Aninsman.
Investigators say they are still trying to figure out how she ended up in the water. They are saying at this point, all leads are pointing to her falling in, but they are looking at every possibility.
"It's tragic that something like this happens, especially near the holidays," Sgt. Aninsman said.
Carlson's body was taken to the Bucks County Coroner's office where investigators hope they will get more answers about what caused her to fall in.
According to friends, Carson was in good health and did not suffer from any medical or mental problems.
bensalem, bucks county, pennsylvania, body found, local/state
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks 20 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 1 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News 28 min ago
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags 16 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash 22 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
20 min ago