Winter storm slows holiday travel
PHILADELPHIA - December 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- The snow, rain and strong winds have caused massive flight delays at airports across the country including Philadelphia.
Things are much better at Philadelphia International Airport with the FAA website reporting a wait time of about 15 minutes or less.
"We'll be happy when we get there," said Mary Cresseveur.
Grandma Mary Cresseveur waited with her family entourage of 6 adults and 4 kids.
"There are 10 of us going," she said. "It is going to be one epic cruise, one epic vacation."
"We got delayed once, twice, now they say 7:30 p.m.," said Douglass Remaly.
With that delay, the family hopes to make it to Miami in time for their cruise's departure ton Saturday.
By Friday afternoon, many of the arrival and departure screens were clear of cancellations; a big difference from Thursday night when the Midwest storm caused more than 1,000 cancellations during the busiest travel time of the year.
Most of the canceled flights were at both of Chicago's airports.
Haverford College junior Joseph Horowitz thought he would have a tough time getting home to Milwaukee.
"I got lucky that I didn't try to fly out yesterday or it would have been a disaster," he said. "I have a lot of friends stuck at Laguardia."
Seattle bound West Chester student Alyssa Rappoport had no worries.
Airport employees described Thursday night as chaotic.
Mom of three Wendy Richards says her secret is to pack plenty of patience.
"We just barely got in the door. All our flight plans worked out and everything," she said.
philadelphia international airport, travel, holidays, philadelphia, local/state
- Skydiver injured in Washington Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding 40 min ago
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!