Local reaction mixed to NRA controversial proposal
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - December 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- The NRA's controversial proposal following the Connecticut school shooting has many still torn on the issue of gun control.
Wayne LaPierre of the National Rifle Association blasted the idea that schools are gun free zones, saying it just makes kids targets.
"They tell every insane killer in America that schools are the safest place to inflict maximum mayhem and minimum risk," said LaPierre.
LaPierre, who was interrupted by gun control advocates twice, said society needs to look at violent movies and games like this one called Kindergarten Killers.
He also said the he believes Congress should "Act immediately to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every public school in this nation."
Cease fire PA reacted Friday saying "The NRA demonstrated today that it is completely out of step with the public."
At Holmes Elementary in Northeast Philadelphia, some parents felt guns in the school are a bad idea.
"Absolutely not. Kids see adults with guns, what are they going to think when they get older? They're going to think it's OK to stand outside with a gun," said Bill Young.
Meanwhile others liked the idea of trained and armed police inside.
"Everything has its ups and downs but I think, for the most part, to protect the kids it's a great idea," said Christine Redman.
At Classic Pistol - a store and gun range, more thumbs up to armed police in every public school.
"We need to protect children and it's not outlawing guns that's going to do it, its protecting our kids from these occasional instances," said Bob Kostaras.
Another woman we spoke to would take it a step further.
"I was in Israel and I saw the school bus drivers were armed, the teachers were armed," said Christine Maribello.
According to ABC News there are 99,000 public schools in the US. If officers' salaries averaged $50,000, they say it would cost the US about $4.9 billion dollars to implement the NRA proposal.
philadelphia, local/state, john rawlins
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in missing Malaysian jet 17 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend! 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft 2 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
6 min ago
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in missing...
17 min ago
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart...
2 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos