Pa. reports largest drop in jobless rate since '83
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - December 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- A survey of Pennsylvania households in November found the biggest monthly drop in joblessness in nearly 30 years, although a separate survey of employers showed only a slight increase in payrolls, the state Department of Labor and Industry reported Friday.
The unemployment rate dropped to 7.8 percent from 8.1 percent in November, the largest one-month drop since 1983. It was the second straight monthly drop after a six-month run-up, although it remains above the national unemployment rate of 7.7 percent. Pennsylvania's jobless rate hit a recessionary peak of 8.7 percent in 2010.
A separate survey of Pennsylvania employers found payrolls inched up by 1,900, hovering around 5.75 million nonfarm jobs. Employers have added more than 180,000 jobs since the recessionary low in February 2010, although payrolls remain smaller than they were in 2006.
Labor economist Mark Price, of the Harrisburg-based Keystone Research Center, noted Friday that the employer survey and the households survey measure different populations and can tell different stories about the economy when viewed over a shorter period of time.
He said the economy is recovering, but Pennsylvania is not seeing a level of employment growth that will consistently produce big drops in unemployment in the coming months. Rather, Pennsylvania is more likely to see a gradual and slow decline in the unemployment rate, Price said.
The household survey found that the number of unemployed dropped by 16,000. Employment rose by 22,000 and the number of people working or seeking work grew by 6,000.
The growth in the number of Pennsylvanians looking for work, particularly in the Pittsburgh region, is a sign of confidence in the economy and is outpacing other states in the Northeast, Price said.
pennsylvania, unemployment, employment, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Photos: Pictures from the SXSW festival crash
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 18 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region 33 min ago
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad 28 min ago
- Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
28 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region
33 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
18 min ago