2013 Phila. Auto Show to be bigger, better
PHILADELPHIA - December 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Anticipating the 2013 Philadelphia Auto Show? It all kicks off with the Black Tie Tailgate and we've got your preview.
This year's show will be 30,000 square feet bigger than ever before.
"635,000 square feet of iron, small cars, luxury cars, sports cars," said Kevin Mazzucola, Executive Director of the Auto Dealers Association of Philadelphia.
Opening day is Saturday, January 19 but the night before is the exclusive Black Tie Tailgate Party.
"If you go on a Saturday afternoon, there are literally about 30,000 people in the building whereas if you go to the black tie, there's probably maybe 4,000 or 5,000," said Mary Lynn Alavarino, Director of Operations, Auto Dealers Caring for Kids Foundation.
There will be a lot of food and drinks with favorite dishes from the Stephen Starr restaurants.
Tailgate party planners got a preview of the menu at a kick-off event that was part tasting and part pep rally.
"Get everybody excited and pumped up to get some tickets sold so we can help the charity," said Michael Chapman, Philadelphia Auto Show Chairman.
The charity is Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Last year's Black Tie Tailgate raised just over $400,000 for CHOP.
"Our total contribution over the last 26 years is about $4.9 million so it'd be great to bust that $5 million mark," said Chapman.
This year, as with last year, the money will go specifically to CHOP's gastroenterology unit.
"Last year's donation enabled them to hire and retain two people," said Scott Lustgarten, Co-chair, Black Tie Tailgate.
For Lustgarten and his wife, Suzi, the cause hits close to home. Their 16-year old daughter suffers from GI issues.
With the purchase of a Black Tie Tailgate ticket, you can help countless numbers of kids.
Tickets for the tailgate cost $225 per person and $90 is tax deductable.
philadelphia, philadelphia auto show, local/state, melissa magee
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text 40 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch