2013 Phila. Auto Show to be bigger, better
PHILADELPHIA - December 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Anticipating the 2013 Philadelphia Auto Show? It all kicks off with the Black Tie Tailgate and we've got your preview.
This year's show will be 30,000 square feet bigger than ever before.
"635,000 square feet of iron, small cars, luxury cars, sports cars," said Kevin Mazzucola, Executive Director of the Auto Dealers Association of Philadelphia.
Opening day is Saturday, January 19 but the night before is the exclusive Black Tie Tailgate Party.
"If you go on a Saturday afternoon, there are literally about 30,000 people in the building whereas if you go to the black tie, there's probably maybe 4,000 or 5,000," said Mary Lynn Alavarino, Director of Operations, Auto Dealers Caring for Kids Foundation.
There will be a lot of food and drinks with favorite dishes from the Stephen Starr restaurants.
Tailgate party planners got a preview of the menu at a kick-off event that was part tasting and part pep rally.
"Get everybody excited and pumped up to get some tickets sold so we can help the charity," said Michael Chapman, Philadelphia Auto Show Chairman.
The charity is Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Last year's Black Tie Tailgate raised just over $400,000 for CHOP.
"Our total contribution over the last 26 years is about $4.9 million so it'd be great to bust that $5 million mark," said Chapman.
This year, as with last year, the money will go specifically to CHOP's gastroenterology unit.
"Last year's donation enabled them to hire and retain two people," said Scott Lustgarten, Co-chair, Black Tie Tailgate.
For Lustgarten and his wife, Suzi, the cause hits close to home. Their 16-year old daughter suffers from GI issues.
With the purchase of a Black Tie Tailgate ticket, you can help countless numbers of kids.
Tickets for the tailgate cost $225 per person and $90 is tax deductable.
philadelphia, philadelphia auto show, local/state, melissa magee
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 59 min ago