Holiday travel ups and downs
UPPER CHICHESTER, Pa. - December 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's the most wonderful time of the year, maybe except when it comes to holiday travel.
"When we hit Delaware it was like accident after accident," Joe Griffin of Annapolis, Maryland said.
Today is one of the busiest days before Christmas, as 93-million Americans, more than a million from the Philadelphia area, journey 50 miles or more away from home for the holiday.
The numbers are up this year, but as always AAA Mid-Atlantic says, the highways and byways are still the preferred choice for travelers.
"The preferred method for me is really flying, but I need a car when I get there so that's one thing," Durwood Farmer of Greenville, South Carolina said.
At Philadelphia International, today's clear weather offered few delays for the airport which has moved thousands of passengers in and out of the area this weekend.
For those coming from and going to the snow battered Midwest, there were some flight delays.
At 30th Street Station, trains were moving on time through the Northeast Corridor getting people like Lester Smith of Bryn Mawr, Pa. to those family members as quickly as possible.
"It was kind of packed on the train; I'm not used to seeing it like that," Smith said.
His mom was just happy to have Lester home for the holidays.
"I'm so excited for the holidays, just to have all my kids home at once," Nona Yancey said.
Some good news for drivers on the roadways today, AAA says while you're spending Christmas with the family, gas prices will slowly drop as we approach New Year's Day.
holidays, shopping, travel, christmas, new year's, local/state, kenneth moton
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 44 min ago
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection 59 min ago
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 44 min ago
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County 21 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 13 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 39 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Skippack student hospitalized with...
59 min ago