Holiday travel ups and downs
UPPER CHICHESTER, Pa. - December 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's the most wonderful time of the year, maybe except when it comes to holiday travel.
"When we hit Delaware it was like accident after accident," Joe Griffin of Annapolis, Maryland said.
Today is one of the busiest days before Christmas, as 93-million Americans, more than a million from the Philadelphia area, journey 50 miles or more away from home for the holiday.
The numbers are up this year, but as always AAA Mid-Atlantic says, the highways and byways are still the preferred choice for travelers.
"The preferred method for me is really flying, but I need a car when I get there so that's one thing," Durwood Farmer of Greenville, South Carolina said.
At Philadelphia International, today's clear weather offered few delays for the airport which has moved thousands of passengers in and out of the area this weekend.
For those coming from and going to the snow battered Midwest, there were some flight delays.
At 30th Street Station, trains were moving on time through the Northeast Corridor getting people like Lester Smith of Bryn Mawr, Pa. to those family members as quickly as possible.
"It was kind of packed on the train; I'm not used to seeing it like that," Smith said.
His mom was just happy to have Lester home for the holidays.
"I'm so excited for the holidays, just to have all my kids home at once," Nona Yancey said.
Some good news for drivers on the roadways today, AAA says while you're spending Christmas with the family, gas prices will slowly drop as we approach New Year's Day.
holidays, shopping, travel, christmas, new year's, local/state, kenneth moton
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Milder Monday
31 min ago