Police release video of Walgreens parking lot shooting
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - December 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have released surveillance video from a shooting in the crowded parking lot of a South Philadelphia Walgreens.
Police say the incident took place at 8:15 p.m. Sunday outside the Walgreens Pharmacy on the 2300 block of Oregon Avenue.
Video surveillance shows the 45-year-old victim, identified as Louis Porter, pulling his vehicle into the parking lot with his 5-year-old son in the passenger seat.
Less than a minute later, as he was starting to walk to the store, another car pulls up.
The driver gets out and immediately starts unloading a .9mm semi-automatic.
He fires 17 shots, including a bullet that went through Porter's head.
The gunman continues to fire as he retreats to his car and then backs out.
Moments later, the camera captures the boy running across the parking lot to the arms of a witness.
Porter is now on life support at a local hospital.
His mother Marlene is stunned and puzzled.
"I just wish justice be done. That's all," Marlene Porter said.
Porter's family says he had no enemies.
"Just a happy go lucky guy that just didn't deserve to be shot down in the street like an animal," Porter's sister Yvonne said.
Porter worked as a barber at 21st and Morris streets.
His family says he was friendly with everyone and could often be seen on the corner waving to people driving by.
He has three sons, 18, 16 and 5 years old.
"He would take them to school, pick them up; he had his three boys. He did everything for them," Marlene Porter said.
Porter had been out on bail awaiting trial on drug charges.
But, his family says they can't understand why anyone would want to kill him.
"Why him, why Lou? When I saw him last night laying up there I was like 'are you serious?' This is my brother, laying in here like this, like he was a bad person and he wasn't," Yvonne said.
Police are searching for the suspect and a motive.
The suspect is described as a black male, 5'10"-6'2", 220 pounds, wearing a black jacket, gray hooded sweatshirt and dark jeans. He was driving a dark gray Ford sedan, possibly a Taurus or Fusion, with a partial tag of FSH-456.
If you have any information relevant to the shooting, you are urged to contact police investigators. To submit a tip by telephone, dial 215-686-TIPS (8477), or text a tip to PPD TIP or 773847.
south philadelphia, shooting, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 18 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water 31 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 16 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 29 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 55 min ago
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
18 min ago
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated...
31 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
1 min ago