Police release video of Walgreens parking lot shooting
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - December 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have released surveillance video from a shooting in the crowded parking lot of a South Philadelphia Walgreens.
Police say the incident took place at 8:15 p.m. Sunday outside the Walgreens Pharmacy on the 2300 block of Oregon Avenue.
Video surveillance shows the 45-year-old victim, identified as Louis Porter, pulling his vehicle into the parking lot with his 5-year-old son in the passenger seat.
Less than a minute later, as he was starting to walk to the store, another car pulls up.
The driver gets out and immediately starts unloading a .9mm semi-automatic.
He fires 17 shots, including a bullet that went through Porter's head.
The gunman continues to fire as he retreats to his car and then backs out.
Moments later, the camera captures the boy running across the parking lot to the arms of a witness.
Porter is now on life support at a local hospital.
His mother Marlene is stunned and puzzled.
"I just wish justice be done. That's all," Marlene Porter said.
Porter's family says he had no enemies.
"Just a happy go lucky guy that just didn't deserve to be shot down in the street like an animal," Porter's sister Yvonne said.
Porter worked as a barber at 21st and Morris streets.
His family says he was friendly with everyone and could often be seen on the corner waving to people driving by.
He has three sons, 18, 16 and 5 years old.
"He would take them to school, pick them up; he had his three boys. He did everything for them," Marlene Porter said.
Porter had been out on bail awaiting trial on drug charges.
But, his family says they can't understand why anyone would want to kill him.
"Why him, why Lou? When I saw him last night laying up there I was like 'are you serious?' This is my brother, laying in here like this, like he was a bad person and he wasn't," Yvonne said.
Police are searching for the suspect and a motive.
The suspect is described as a black male, 5'10"-6'2", 220 pounds, wearing a black jacket, gray hooded sweatshirt and dark jeans. He was driving a dark gray Ford sedan, possibly a Taurus or Fusion, with a partial tag of FSH-456.
If you have any information relevant to the shooting, you are urged to contact police investigators. To submit a tip by telephone, dial 215-686-TIPS (8477), or text a tip to PPD TIP or 773847.
south philadelphia, shooting, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 15 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd 6 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Florida Rep. Radel returns from rehab
48 min ago