Driver killed in violent crash on I-495 in Claymont
CLAYMONT, Del. - December 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police say excessive speed was a factor in an overnight crash that claimed the life of one person in Claymont.
The crash occurred at 1:15 a.m. Tuesday on the northbound lanes of I-495 near Edgemoor Road.
Police say a 2004 Ford Explorer was travelling at a high rate of speed when it suddenly swerved to the right and then to the left, and traveled onto the grass median.
The front of the vehicle struck a guardrail and overturned several times.
The driver, Jose Rodriguez, 27, of Wilmington, was ejected onto the northbound lanes of I-495. Rodriguez was then struck by several vehicles.
Police say he was not properly restrained.
Rodriguez was pronounced dead at the scene.
The passenger in his vehicle, Merry L. Ortiz, 28, of Wilmington, was transported by ambulance to Christiana Hospital and admitted in stable condition.
It is not known if she was properly restrained.
The Collision Reconstruction Unit continues to investigate this incident.
I-495 northbound was closed for approximately four hours as Troopers investigated and cleared the crash.
delaware, accident, new castle county, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 4 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
4 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos