Family of Christmas hit-and-run victim searches for answers
KENSINGTON - December 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have identified the woman killed in a Christmas night hit-and-run in Kensington, but the search for the driver continues.
After speaking to witnesses, police say it was 8:08 p.m. Tuesday when 54-year-old Denise Williams fell while walking on the sidewalk along the 3100 block of Frankford Avenue, just outside the Family Dollar store.
While Williams was still on the ground, a black Dodge Charger made a right turn into the driveway to the store, hitting Williams.
The driver got out of the car. She then got back into the vehicle and fled the scene.
The vehicle was last seen travelling west on the 2000 block of Wishart Street.
Williams was transported to Temple University Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Williams' family is struggling with her death and searching for answers.
"To pull off cold and callous like that, leave a person on the ground, I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone," the victim's brother Naeem Sultan said.
They say the 54-year-old woman was supposed to meet her boyfriend at his Kensington home that night.
"He said he was waiting for her to go to dinner and she just didn't show up for dinner," Sultan said.
Williams was a mother of two adult children and worked as a security guard at the Art Museum.
Authorities released surveillance video of what may be the suspect's car driving along the 3100 block of Frankford Avenue seconds before the accident.
Williams' friends and family want the driver of the Charger to come forward.
"That was a human being. You know what you did. You should come forward and come clean," neighbor Tony Magee said.
"That could be anyone's mother, grandmother, or sister," Sultan said.
A police spokeswoman says detectives are likely awaiting autopsy results, but her family says she had no known medical condition.
Police are asking any other witnesses to contact 215-685-3180 / 3181.
kensington, philadelphia, hit and run, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 23 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 30 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 42 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 3 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 9 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Saving with 6abc: Bridal savings 22 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
42 min ago