Train derailment prompts evacuations in Sussex County, Del.
BRIDGEVILLE, Del. - December 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- A train derailment prompted the evacuation of homes in an area of Sussex County, Delaware Wednesday morning.
Sussex County emergency officials say the derailment happened about 9:45 a.m. Wednesday on the tracks along Wilson Farm Road.
No leaks or injuries were reported.
One of the derailed cars, a tank car, was carrying propane. The other seven freight cars were carrying gravel.
The derailment prompted a precautionary evacuation of a number of homes, officials say.
Evacuees are reporting to the Bridgeville Volunteer Fire Company at 311 Market Street.
The Red Cross of the Delmarva Peninsula will provide assistance to evacuees, as needed, at the fire company.
Officials closed off Wilson Farm Road and Wesley Church Road to traffic.
The Sussex County Emergency Operations Center and Sussex County Emergency Medical Services are assisting Bridgeville Fire Company in the response with the County's mobile command unit and personnel.
sussex county, delaware, train accident, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 58 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 44 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst 58 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus 58 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off 58 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 41 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry 57 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 58 min ago
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
58 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search...
58 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean...
57 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
38 min ago