Free Condoms in 22 Phila. high schools
PHILADELPHIA - December 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia School District is installing condom dispensers in high schools over the winter break.
Students will have to go to the nurse's office to get the free contraceptives.
They'll be available in 22 public high schools, as long as the student's parents did not opt out of the program.
The schools were chosen for having the highest rates of STD's in the city.
Deputy Mayor Don Schwarz says, "Ten years ago we had higher rates of condom use among young people than we do currently in Philadelphia, and at the same time, rates of sexually transmitted infection have gone up pretty dramatically in the city. So while we don't think that condoms are the full answer we believe that they are part of that answer."
Schwarz says it is still a parent's role to educate their children about safe sex.
philadelphia, school, sex, local/state
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish 2 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar