Police: Burglary suspect caught after river jump
MORRISTOWN, N.J. - December 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Morris County say a suspect who's behind a string of burglaries in the area has been caught after jumping into the Rockaway River.
Keith Herbert of Wharton was charged with burglary and theft over the weekend after leading police on a chase in Dover. He was being held on $75,000 bail.
Police say they responded to a burglar alarm early Saturday to find a glass door smashed and then saw Herbert on Route 46.
Herbert then allegedly led police on a chase and eventually jumped into the river before he was caught. He allegedly was carrying $174 in rolls of coins from the burglary.
A Dover police spokesman tells The Daily Record of Parsippany that Herbert is a suspect in several other burglaries.
new jersey, burglary, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 2 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 17 min ago
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 15 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 7 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Uwchlan Twp. man arrested following...
40 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos