Police: Burglary suspect caught after river jump
MORRISTOWN, N.J. - December 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Morris County say a suspect who's behind a string of burglaries in the area has been caught after jumping into the Rockaway River.
Keith Herbert of Wharton was charged with burglary and theft over the weekend after leading police on a chase in Dover. He was being held on $75,000 bail.
Police say they responded to a burglar alarm early Saturday to find a glass door smashed and then saw Herbert on Route 46.
Herbert then allegedly led police on a chase and eventually jumped into the river before he was caught. He allegedly was carrying $174 in rolls of coins from the burglary.
A Dover police spokesman tells The Daily Record of Parsippany that Herbert is a suspect in several other burglaries.
new jersey, burglary, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower