Police: Burglary suspect caught after river jump
MORRISTOWN, N.J. - December 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Morris County say a suspect who's behind a string of burglaries in the area has been caught after jumping into the Rockaway River.
Keith Herbert of Wharton was charged with burglary and theft over the weekend after leading police on a chase in Dover. He was being held on $75,000 bail.
Police say they responded to a burglar alarm early Saturday to find a glass door smashed and then saw Herbert on Route 46.
Herbert then allegedly led police on a chase and eventually jumped into the river before he was caught. He allegedly was carrying $174 in rolls of coins from the burglary.
A Dover police spokesman tells The Daily Record of Parsippany that Herbert is a suspect in several other burglaries.
new jersey, burglary, local/state
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 5 min ago
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Ramsey speaks on police involved deadly shootings
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty 45 min ago
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Baby, man injured in SEPTA bus accident
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Bus co. mistake disrupts kids' DC field trip
- Student and teacher shocked at Voorhees school
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping
- SEPTA announces fare hikes
- Down At The Shore