Police: Burglary suspect caught after river jump
MORRISTOWN, N.J. - December 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Morris County say a suspect who's behind a string of burglaries in the area has been caught after jumping into the Rockaway River.
Keith Herbert of Wharton was charged with burglary and theft over the weekend after leading police on a chase in Dover. He was being held on $75,000 bail.
Police say they responded to a burglar alarm early Saturday to find a glass door smashed and then saw Herbert on Route 46.
Herbert then allegedly led police on a chase and eventually jumped into the river before he was caught. He allegedly was carrying $174 in rolls of coins from the burglary.
A Dover police spokesman tells The Daily Record of Parsippany that Herbert is a suspect in several other burglaries.
new jersey, burglary, local/state
- Police search for missing Delco mother 37 min ago
- Record Warmth! 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Record Warmth!
34 min ago