Man pulled from burning home in Delaware dies
CLAYMONT, Del. - December 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man pulled from the second floor of a burning home in Claymont, Delaware Friday afternoon has died.
Fire officials tell Action News the 57- year-old male victim was transported to Crozer Hospital in Upland, Pennsylvania. He died on Saturday.
His name has not been released.
Firefighters were dispatched at 12:40 p.m. Friday to a report of a person trapped inside a burning home on the 1000 block of Providence Avenue in the Brandywine Estates neighborhood of Claymont.
Arriving firefighters reported heavy smoke and fire coming from the home and quickly struck a second alarm.
"There were all these firefighters and ambulances coming in," said Nick Bucci. "They cut the roof open and big black smoke billowed out."
Police say the man trapped inside was able to call 911 to report the blaze before he lost consciousness.
"He said he was trapped. We had him on the phone for a while," said Claymont Fire Chief Eric Haley.
But fire officials say they had difficulty finding the victim amid thick smoke and mounds of trash. They were eventually able to rescue him from a second story window.
"Normal landmarks of the home were not distinguishable because of storage conditions and hoarding in the house," said Chief Haley.
The cause and origin of the fire remain under investigation.
fire, delaware, local/state
- Photos: Recent prostitution arrests in Philadelphia
- Clouds to sun, cool today 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 8 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 45 min ago
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape