Del State Police: 2 fatal accidents were alcohol-related
WILMINGTON, Del. - December 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- State police say two fatal crashes over the Christmas holiday involved impaired drivers.
A passenger, 54-year-old Carol Reppond of Magnolia, died after a Christmas Eve accident south of Dover. On Christmas Day, 27-year-old Jose Rodriguez died after he overturned his sport-utility vehicle on Interstate 495.
Police say 57 people have been injured and five have died in impaired-driving crashes since Thanksgiving. That's a major increase from the same period last year, when two people were killed over the holidays and 24 were hurt.
Police say there have been nearly 4,800 DUI arrests in Delaware since the beginning of the year. The Office of Highway Safety says four checkpoints are scheduled for this weekend, and 328 have been arrested for driving under the influence as part of the checkpoint program.
wilmington, delaware, accident, local/state
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry