Del State Police: 2 fatal accidents were alcohol-related
WILMINGTON, Del. - December 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- State police say two fatal crashes over the Christmas holiday involved impaired drivers.
A passenger, 54-year-old Carol Reppond of Magnolia, died after a Christmas Eve accident south of Dover. On Christmas Day, 27-year-old Jose Rodriguez died after he overturned his sport-utility vehicle on Interstate 495.
Police say 57 people have been injured and five have died in impaired-driving crashes since Thanksgiving. That's a major increase from the same period last year, when two people were killed over the holidays and 24 were hurt.
Police say there have been nearly 4,800 DUI arrests in Delaware since the beginning of the year. The Office of Highway Safety says four checkpoints are scheduled for this weekend, and 328 have been arrested for driving under the influence as part of the checkpoint program.
wilmington, delaware, accident, local/state
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 3 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening
29 min ago