Del State Police: 2 fatal accidents were alcohol-related
WILMINGTON, Del. - December 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- State police say two fatal crashes over the Christmas holiday involved impaired drivers.
A passenger, 54-year-old Carol Reppond of Magnolia, died after a Christmas Eve accident south of Dover. On Christmas Day, 27-year-old Jose Rodriguez died after he overturned his sport-utility vehicle on Interstate 495.
Police say 57 people have been injured and five have died in impaired-driving crashes since Thanksgiving. That's a major increase from the same period last year, when two people were killed over the holidays and 24 were hurt.
Police say there have been nearly 4,800 DUI arrests in Delaware since the beginning of the year. The Office of Highway Safety says four checkpoints are scheduled for this weekend, and 328 have been arrested for driving under the influence as part of the checkpoint program.
wilmington, delaware, accident, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police