Phila. preps for big New Year's celebrations
PHILADELPHIA - December 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia is preparing for several full-scale annual events to ring in the New Year.
Pyrotechnico is one of the largest fireworks producers in the country. They loaded their mortars on three barges Friday afternoon, where the fireworks will be launched in the middle of the Delaware River.
"We're setting the equipment today and we start loading the explosives, the happy bombs are what we call them in our business," said Kenn Furstoss, fireworks show producer.
The displays will utilize more than four tons of explosives from across the world.
"All over the world. We use Spanish product, Italian product, Chinese product, Japanese product," said Furstoss.
While the Sugarhouse Fireworks on the Waterfront will be held at 6:00 pm and midnight on New Years' Eve, the Mummers' Fancy Brigades will host two shows at the Convention Center on New Year's Day.
Action News caught the ten Fancy Brigades teams working on their floats.
The Downtowners will show off "Gods of the Sun."
The Vikings, last year's champs, want to know this year if "You Got Game?"
"Yes defending champs, our captain Pete retired and I took over, I'm his nephew," said Gerald Roccia.
There's Saturnalian and the Myan Prophecy, the "Mystery of the Crystal Skull," and Golden Crown's Apocolypse - "Activate Thunderdome."
This is the 16th year the Fancy Brigades have been judged at the convention center.
On New Year's Day the first show will be at 12 noon then the members board buses and head to Oregon Avenue.
They'll be back in time for the second show at 5:00 p.m. It's expected that nearly 4,000 people will turn out for each show.
philadelphia, new year's, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 20 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 38 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
38 min ago