Driver faces DUI after truck, train collide in Del.
BEAR, Del. - December 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- A driver is facing DUI charges after his vehicle and a train collided at a railroad crossing in Bear, Delaware.
It happened around 4:00 Saturday morning at the Porter Road railroad crossing.
Authorities say a 1994 Ford pickup truck, driven by 33-year-old Derrick Jones, turned off of Porter Road and onto Old Porter Road.
The vehicle struck a Norfolk Southern train that was travelling south at the crossing.
The impact of the crash lodged the truck under one of the train's tankers that was filled with liquified gas.
The train dragged the vehicle about a half mile before coming to a stop.
Jones was transported to Christiana Hospital for non-life-threatening injuries. His passenger was also taken to the hospital for minor injuries.
No word if either person was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.
Alcohol may have played a role in the crash, police say Jones is charged with DUI and related offenses.
delaware, new castle county, accident, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos