Phila. Police search for suspect in car burglaries
PHILADELPHIA - December 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Southwest Philadelphia are trying to catch a suspected thief and are hoping surveillance footage will aid in their search.
Surveillance footage shows a suspected car thief staring at the camera early Saturday morning.
The victim's say the suspect stole a bag from inside their Lexus parked on the street in the 7000 block of Buist Street, but was unable to break in to their Nissan parked in the driveway.
"If we can get it out to viewers to recognize the person, police said they have seen this person in action before, maybe it could give someone a good lead to arrest them," said the owner.
She doesn't want her name used or face on the camera, but she wants the man caught and behind bars. She is hoping the video will help.
"Nobody wants to feel like they can't feel safe in a neighborhood where there are children and families," she said.
The video shows the man walking from the Lexus with a bag before moving to the Nissan. The victim says there was nothing of any real value inside.
By the time police came to take the victims' complaint they realized there were already several more complaints, all within a two block radius.
"One person was flagging them down a block away from us because their car was broken into," she said.
The couple believes at least four other cars were broken into during the crime spree.
Action News found another car a block away where neighbors say a different Lexus was broken into.
"When I came outside it had to be about 6:00 a.m. this morning, a young lady who parks her Lexus here had a trash bag on the car. Someone busted it out and had to rummage through the car," said Reheim Gordon.
The victim tried to find more video of the suspect from a nearby corner store.
Police are hoping someone will recognize the suspect and contact police. Anyone with information is asked to call 215-686-3120.
theft, burglary, philadelphia, local/state
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 2 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 8 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 23 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
21 min ago