PennDOT warns of icy conditions on roadways
PHILADELPHIA - December 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- PennDOT and local crews monitor roads overnight and warn drivers to watch out for icy conditions as they hit the highways in the morning.
Cars in Manayunk remain snow covered Saturday night, and the salt trucks continued to work into the night. The concern is wet roads turning to black ice as the temperatures dip below freezing and the wind chills hit the teens.
"It's freezing outside," said Sara Vogel.
A Manayunk bride was all bundled up after saying "I do" on this winter's evening.
The newlyweds, who currently live on a naval base in Texas, said their dream December wedding included snow, but not all the mess that comes along with it.
"I wanted it to snow like three days beforehand so the roads were clear, but there was still snow on the ground," said Vogel.
The couple got half of their wish. Flurries were falling earlier in the day, enough accumulation to keep the children occupied.
"I think it's a winter wonderland," said Caitlyn Plover.
Young girls in Roxborough made a miniature snowman while many adults spent time cleaning their cars, shoveling sidewalks and trekking through town; many on-foot.
"It's really slippery. My feet are cold," said Amy Raucheisen. "I was holding onto him the whole time."
"As long as the temperature is above freezing, we're okay. Otherwise you stay in," said Marie McMurtrie.
The temperatures are expected to dip Saturday night, which is a major concern with black ice making driving conditions hazardous. All are reminded to take it easy on the roadways.
snow, philadelphia, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 27 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 35 min ago
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 17 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 25 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
27 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
25 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
17 min ago