PennDOT warns of icy conditions on roadways
PHILADELPHIA - December 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- PennDOT and local crews monitor roads overnight and warn drivers to watch out for icy conditions as they hit the highways in the morning.
Cars in Manayunk remain snow covered Saturday night, and the salt trucks continued to work into the night. The concern is wet roads turning to black ice as the temperatures dip below freezing and the wind chills hit the teens.
"It's freezing outside," said Sara Vogel.
A Manayunk bride was all bundled up after saying "I do" on this winter's evening.
The newlyweds, who currently live on a naval base in Texas, said their dream December wedding included snow, but not all the mess that comes along with it.
"I wanted it to snow like three days beforehand so the roads were clear, but there was still snow on the ground," said Vogel.
The couple got half of their wish. Flurries were falling earlier in the day, enough accumulation to keep the children occupied.
"I think it's a winter wonderland," said Caitlyn Plover.
Young girls in Roxborough made a miniature snowman while many adults spent time cleaning their cars, shoveling sidewalks and trekking through town; many on-foot.
"It's really slippery. My feet are cold," said Amy Raucheisen. "I was holding onto him the whole time."
"As long as the temperature is above freezing, we're okay. Otherwise you stay in," said Marie McMurtrie.
The temperatures are expected to dip Saturday night, which is a major concern with black ice making driving conditions hazardous. All are reminded to take it easy on the roadways.
snow, philadelphia, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 28 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 40 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 1 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 7 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Saving with 6abc: Bridal savings 20 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
40 min ago