Pa. beauty queen stunned by $5 million ruling
PITTSBURGH - December 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania beauty queen who resigned after alleging that the Miss USA pageant had been fixed says she is stunned by an arbitrator's ruling that she must pay the pageant organization $5 million for defamation.
Former Miss Pennsylvania USA Sheena Monnin told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that the "most logical course" would be to contest the ruling, but she's considering her options.
Arbitrator Theodore Katz said Monnin's allegations that finalists had been selected in advance were false, harmful and malicious and cost the pageant a $5 million fee from a potential 2013 sponsor.
Monnin pointed to a Miss USA contract clause giving top pageant officials the power to pick the top five finalists and the winner, but a company official calls that a catch-all that's never been used.
Information from: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
pennsylvania, miss usa, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 18 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 53 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery 9 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 5 min ago
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 7 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 48 min ago
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 46 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 38 min ago
- Uwchlan Twp. man arrested following...
16 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos