NJ man tells cops he purchased $10 sheriff's badge
PATERSON, N.J. - December 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Law enforcement officials say a Paterson man arrested during a motor vehicle stop over the weekend was found to be carrying a Passaic County Sheriff's badge.
The Record of Woodland Park reports http://bit.ly/TWHMQ3 that Benicio Morales Jr., told police he'd purchased the badge for $10 in Garret Mountain Reservation in Woodland Park.
It's not clear if Morales has a lawyer.
Sheriff's department Spokesman Bill Maer tells the newspaper that Morales was carrying an older badge.
Passaic County Sheriff Richard Berdnik announced last week that officers in his department have new badges with internal tracking numbers and special dye to prevent them from being easily reproduced.
Berdnik says the department used $65,000 in drug forfeiture money to purchase the new badges.
Information from: The Record (Woodland Park, N.J.), http://www.northjersey.com
new jersey, police impersonator, local/state
- 1 death reported in East Harlem building explosion 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion 19 min ago
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 41 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 1 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
19 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
57 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New...
53 min ago