NJ man tells cops he purchased $10 sheriff's badge
PATERSON, N.J. - December 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Law enforcement officials say a Paterson man arrested during a motor vehicle stop over the weekend was found to be carrying a Passaic County Sheriff's badge.
The Record of Woodland Park reports http://bit.ly/TWHMQ3 that Benicio Morales Jr., told police he'd purchased the badge for $10 in Garret Mountain Reservation in Woodland Park.
It's not clear if Morales has a lawyer.
Sheriff's department Spokesman Bill Maer tells the newspaper that Morales was carrying an older badge.
Passaic County Sheriff Richard Berdnik announced last week that officers in his department have new badges with internal tracking numbers and special dye to prevent them from being easily reproduced.
Berdnik says the department used $65,000 in drug forfeiture money to purchase the new badges.
Information from: The Record (Woodland Park, N.J.), http://www.northjersey.com
new jersey, police impersonator, local/state
- Video: Chris Sowers with storm update 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 35 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- Photos: Snow Ball 2013: Eagles vs. Lions 17 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief