Deadly hit and run on City Avenue
WYNNEFIELD HEIGHTS - January 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are investigating the death of a pedestrian struck by a car in Wynnefield Heights early Tuesday morning.
Police and other emergency personnel were desperately trying to stabilize 50-year-old Patrick Coyle in the middle of City Avenue overnight, but he died at the hospital.
"He was my heart," said Joyce Zasowski.
Joyce Zasowski is heartbroken.
Her boyfriend of 14 years and the father of her son, Patrick Coyle, was run over and killed on City Avenue around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday morning.
"He was at a New Year's Eve bowling party, I believe. What I am gathering, he got off the bus, and I guess he tried to get to the other side so he could get home and never made it," said Zasowski.
Coyle lived at the Presidential City Luxury Apartments, just a few steps from where he was killed.
He was a maintenance man at the facility and residents there spoke of him in glowing terms.
"He always stopped to smile, to say hello to me, and he always knew I needed a hug, and he always gave me a hug. I'm beside myself," said Ann Hirsch.
"He was a nice guy, generous guy, hard worker, always willing to help people when people needed help," said co-worker Moses Keenan.
The driver who ran him over remains at large.
Police only have a vague description of the car. It is described as a gold or silver sedan.
Investigators are gathering evidence that include car parts from the accident scene. They are hoping eyewitnesses may be able to provide a tip to bring him or her to justice.
"Please come forward and be honest. He was a good person. You took a wonderful person away from me and my son," said Zasowski.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police.
pedestrian struck, wynnefield, philadelphia, local/state
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 50 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 57 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Body found on side of road in Wilmington 7 min ago
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags 14 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash