Fire causes twin home to collapse in Delaware County, Pa.
YEADON, Pa. - January 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Fire crews battled a house fire in Yeadon Pennsylvania early Tuesday morning.
It was just a few hours into 2013 - just after 3:00 a.m. - when flames engulfed the home in the unit block of Lincoln Avenue.
By daybreak, a couple who escaped the blaze got their first good look at what little is left behind.
"Definitely lucky we got out," said survivor Jeff Wall.
"Thank God I'm alive," said survivor Paula Davis.
Wall and Davis live at 47 Lincoln Avenue. The New Year's Day blaze began in the twin next door to them and quickly spread.
The fire was so intense at some points crews couldn't move in.
"We're in external operations only," said Yeadon Fire Chief Michael Diienno. "We've had numerous building collapses, so there's no guys inside, just on the outside."
The man who lives in the home where the fire began had to be rescued from a porch roof and transported to the hospital.
Hours after crews cleared the scene you could still hear the smoke detector going off. The couple credits those alarms with saving their lives.
"The detectors woke up Paula," said Jeff Wall. "We saw a lot of smoke. The hallways started filling up and we decided to get out."
By 10:00 a.m. the Red Cross had already reached out to the couple and so did neighbors and a local pastor.
"We appreciate them," said Wall. "Everybody's putting a hand out."
The New Year is forcing this couple to find a new home. But they are optimistic about what the rest of 20-13 will bring.
"Happy New Year," said Wall. "We'll be fine."
fire, delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ