Fire causes twin home to collapse in Delaware County, Pa.
YEADON, Pa. - January 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Fire crews battled a house fire in Yeadon Pennsylvania early Tuesday morning.
It was just a few hours into 2013 - just after 3:00 a.m. - when flames engulfed the home in the unit block of Lincoln Avenue.
By daybreak, a couple who escaped the blaze got their first good look at what little is left behind.
"Definitely lucky we got out," said survivor Jeff Wall.
"Thank God I'm alive," said survivor Paula Davis.
Wall and Davis live at 47 Lincoln Avenue. The New Year's Day blaze began in the twin next door to them and quickly spread.
The fire was so intense at some points crews couldn't move in.
"We're in external operations only," said Yeadon Fire Chief Michael Diienno. "We've had numerous building collapses, so there's no guys inside, just on the outside."
The man who lives in the home where the fire began had to be rescued from a porch roof and transported to the hospital.
Hours after crews cleared the scene you could still hear the smoke detector going off. The couple credits those alarms with saving their lives.
"The detectors woke up Paula," said Jeff Wall. "We saw a lot of smoke. The hallways started filling up and we decided to get out."
By 10:00 a.m. the Red Cross had already reached out to the couple and so did neighbors and a local pastor.
"We appreciate them," said Wall. "Everybody's putting a hand out."
The New Year is forcing this couple to find a new home. But they are optimistic about what the rest of 20-13 will bring.
"Happy New Year," said Wall. "We'll be fine."
fire, delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 43 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 50 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
43 min ago