Del. starts '31 Days to a Healthier You' campaign
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - January 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware residents have some big-name help making good on their New Year's resolutions.
Governor Jack Markell joined state health officials at Wilmington's Central YMCA today to launch the "31 Days To A Healthier You" campaign.
The Department of Health and Social Services is behind the campaign, which will spend the month of January offering tips for healthy living on Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites.
They will include easy-to-follow suggestions on getting a better diet, more activity, and breaking bad habits like smoking.
On Twitter, the campaign will use the hashtag "healthDE," and on Facebook residents are being asked to share photos that answer the question: "What does 'healthy' look like?"
The idea is to help Delaware residents build healthy habits by starting with small ideas that add up.
Dr. Karyl Rattay, Delaware's Public Health Director, says, "What will work for you? Not just for a week, not just for 2 weeks., but what kind of changes - small steps, can you make that you can sustain for good?"
Dr. Rattay dubbed part of the program "5-2-1, almost none." 5 stands for 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, 2 stands for less than 2 hours of recreational screen and television time, and almost none refers to almost no sugary drinks. The none also refers to 'no smoking,' what Dr. Rattay calls the single biggest preventable cause of death.
Residents can also share their ideas, and support others so that nobody has to go it alone.
health care, delaware, local/state
- Skydiver injured in Washington Twp. accident 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery 37 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 25 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!