Suspended Pa. priest faces fed child porn sentence
PITTSBURGH (AP) - January 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A suspended Pittsburgh-area priest is set for sentencing on charges he possessed and received thousands of child pornography images - some of them sadomasochistic - on his church computer.
Court records show federal prosecutors want the Rev. Bartley Sorensen to serve eight to 10 years in prison. But the defense attorney for the 63-year-old Roman Catholic priest says the mandatory five-year sentence he faces is sufficient.
Sorensen was arrested by Allegheny County district attorney's detectives in December 2011 after an employee at Saint John Fisher Parish in Churchill noticed him looking at a photo of a young boy on his computer. Federal authorities took over the investigation after a computer search turned up thousands of images.
Sorensen pleaded guilty in May.
children, pornography, pennsylvania, local/state
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked down 16 min ago
- Splendid spring finale 32 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Computer outage delays travelers at Phila. Airport
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate 24 min ago
- Philly deputy mayor: City not liable for demo sites
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL] 13 min ago