Suspended Pa. priest faces fed child porn sentence
PITTSBURGH (AP) - January 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A suspended Pittsburgh-area priest is set for sentencing on charges he possessed and received thousands of child pornography images - some of them sadomasochistic - on his church computer.
Court records show federal prosecutors want the Rev. Bartley Sorensen to serve eight to 10 years in prison. But the defense attorney for the 63-year-old Roman Catholic priest says the mandatory five-year sentence he faces is sufficient.
Sorensen was arrested by Allegheny County district attorney's detectives in December 2011 after an employee at Saint John Fisher Parish in Churchill noticed him looking at a photo of a young boy on his computer. Federal authorities took over the investigation after a computer search turned up thousands of images.
Sorensen pleaded guilty in May.
children, pornography, pennsylvania, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot while sleeping in South Philadelphia 29 min ago
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
8 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos