Closing arguments under way in Philly mob case
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -January 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Closing arguments are under way in the racketeering trial of Joseph "Uncle Joe" Ligambi, who is accused of being a Philadelphia mob boss, and six others.
After two months of testimony, attorneys are slated to deliver their final remarks to the federal jury over three days. U.S. District Judge Eduardo Robreno says jurors should get the case Monday.
U.S. Attorney John Han says testimony from former mobsters and recorded conversations prove the defendants were affiliated with La Cosa Nostra. Han says they are responsible for a "smorgasbord of crimes" that preyed upon the weak and vulnerable.
The investigation stretches back to about 1999, when former boss Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino went to prison. Prosecutors say the 73-year-old Ligambi has led Philadelphia's La Cosa Nostra since then.
Defense attorneys say their clients are innocent.
trial, philadelphia, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands