Tight security after possible bomb threat at Bucks County school
LEVITTOWN, Pa. - January 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Tougher security measures were in place at Harry S. Truman High School in Bucks County Thursday, after the discovery of a possible bomb threat.
"My daughter's late for school today for this reason," said parent Ana Nieves. "I don't know what to do."
Unease for some parents at Harry S. Truman High School in Levittown Thursday as students arrived for class as usual.
Graffiti was discovered in a boy's bathroom last weekend, a crude drawing which officials were concerned may have been a bomb threat. The threat was dated for today.
"At this point, what parent can take anything lightly?" said Ana Nieves.
The drawing didn't specify Truman as a target, but Bristol Township School District Superintendent Sam Lee was among the officials who didn't want to take any chances.
"Safety, security is our priority," he told Action News.
Lee says the school was searched and secured at the time of the discovery and again last night by various law enforcement agencies in lower Bucks County.
Extra precautions were taken Thursday morning.
"We had heightened security and a little more vigilance than normal," said Lee.
No students were allowed inside before 6:45 a.m. In a notice from the school, the principal recommended students not bring bags or backpacks to school and warned their belongings could be searched.
The superintendent told us everything went smoothly.
"More staff, more eyes and ears on the arrival process," said Lee. "And of course a significant sweep, inside, outside."
graffiti, school, bomb scare, pennsylvania, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 37 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 53 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 58 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
53 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
15 min ago