Tight security after possible bomb threat at Bucks County school
LEVITTOWN, Pa. - January 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Tougher security measures were in place at Harry S. Truman High School in Bucks County Thursday, after the discovery of a possible bomb threat.
"My daughter's late for school today for this reason," said parent Ana Nieves. "I don't know what to do."
Unease for some parents at Harry S. Truman High School in Levittown Thursday as students arrived for class as usual.
Graffiti was discovered in a boy's bathroom last weekend, a crude drawing which officials were concerned may have been a bomb threat. The threat was dated for today.
"At this point, what parent can take anything lightly?" said Ana Nieves.
The drawing didn't specify Truman as a target, but Bristol Township School District Superintendent Sam Lee was among the officials who didn't want to take any chances.
"Safety, security is our priority," he told Action News.
Lee says the school was searched and secured at the time of the discovery and again last night by various law enforcement agencies in lower Bucks County.
Extra precautions were taken Thursday morning.
"We had heightened security and a little more vigilance than normal," said Lee.
No students were allowed inside before 6:45 a.m. In a notice from the school, the principal recommended students not bring bags or backpacks to school and warned their belongings could be searched.
The superintendent told us everything went smoothly.
"More staff, more eyes and ears on the arrival process," said Lee. "And of course a significant sweep, inside, outside."
graffiti, school, bomb scare, pennsylvania, local/state
- Robber slashed with knife; suspect's mom talks
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 47 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 31 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in Whitemarsh
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash