Tight security after possible bomb threat at Bucks County school
LEVITTOWN, Pa. - January 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Tougher security measures were in place at Harry S. Truman High School in Bucks County Thursday, after the discovery of a possible bomb threat.
"My daughter's late for school today for this reason," said parent Ana Nieves. "I don't know what to do."
Unease for some parents at Harry S. Truman High School in Levittown Thursday as students arrived for class as usual.
Graffiti was discovered in a boy's bathroom last weekend, a crude drawing which officials were concerned may have been a bomb threat. The threat was dated for today.
"At this point, what parent can take anything lightly?" said Ana Nieves.
The drawing didn't specify Truman as a target, but Bristol Township School District Superintendent Sam Lee was among the officials who didn't want to take any chances.
"Safety, security is our priority," he told Action News.
Lee says the school was searched and secured at the time of the discovery and again last night by various law enforcement agencies in lower Bucks County.
Extra precautions were taken Thursday morning.
"We had heightened security and a little more vigilance than normal," said Lee.
No students were allowed inside before 6:45 a.m. In a notice from the school, the principal recommended students not bring bags or backpacks to school and warned their belongings could be searched.
The superintendent told us everything went smoothly.
"More staff, more eyes and ears on the arrival process," said Lee. "And of course a significant sweep, inside, outside."
graffiti, school, bomb scare, pennsylvania, local/state
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 25 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 59 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 58 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
45 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
58 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos