Phila. homicide possibly linked to Del. missing person
PHILADELPHIA - January 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- A body discovered in a van in Philadelphia may somehow be connected to a missing person's case in Claymont, Delaware, police say.
The man's body was discovered inside a Pontiac minivan on the 3300 block of North 19th Street at around 11:00 p.m. Wednesday.
Authorities say the man was stabbed, slashed, and burned; his hands and feet were bound with duct tape.
"At this point, we don't know who this person is. He's a John Doe at this particular time," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
Today, investigators were called to an end unit townhouse in Claymont, Delaware for reports of a missing person and evidence of a possible abduction.
Neighbors heard a commotion last night after 9:00 p.m.
New Castle police were said to be assisting Philadelphia homicide detectives in the minivan case.
Charlie Ross, who owns a Delaware tavern the missing man frequented, says the now missing person had dinner with another man at about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday and nothing appeared unusual.
"He's a nice guy. He ordered his chicken salad with extra chicken, loved the food, and he was really a nice guy, never had a problem with him here," Ross said.
Police are waiting on further evidence, specifically fingerprints of the missing man, to determine if the two crimes are linked.
philadelphia, delaware, homicide, missing person, local/state, john rawlins
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 41 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos