Phila. homicide possibly linked to Del. missing person
PHILADELPHIA - January 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- A body discovered in a van in Philadelphia may somehow be connected to a missing person's case in Claymont, Delaware, police say.
The man's body was discovered inside a Pontiac minivan on the 3300 block of North 19th Street at around 11:00 p.m. Wednesday.
Authorities say the man was stabbed, slashed, and burned; his hands and feet were bound with duct tape.
"At this point, we don't know who this person is. He's a John Doe at this particular time," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
Today, investigators were called to an end unit townhouse in Claymont, Delaware for reports of a missing person and evidence of a possible abduction.
Neighbors heard a commotion last night after 9:00 p.m.
New Castle police were said to be assisting Philadelphia homicide detectives in the minivan case.
Charlie Ross, who owns a Delaware tavern the missing man frequented, says the now missing person had dinner with another man at about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday and nothing appeared unusual.
"He's a nice guy. He ordered his chicken salad with extra chicken, loved the food, and he was really a nice guy, never had a problem with him here," Ross said.
Police are waiting on further evidence, specifically fingerprints of the missing man, to determine if the two crimes are linked.
philadelphia, delaware, homicide, missing person, local/state, john rawlins
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
22 min ago