1 child dead, 1 injured in Lakewood, NJ fire
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - January 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- One child is dead and another child was critically injured after a fire in Lakewood, New Jersey on Friday morning.
The fire broke out at the home at 644 Stirling Avenue just after 2 a.m. Rescuers were delayed, officials said, because of a language barrier. A misunderstanding initially sent them to the wrong address.
Police arrived on the scene to find a mother holding her two-year-old son and a father frantically running between the house an outside, with a nine-year-old son in front of the house.
However, their six-year-old son was still inside.
There was heavy smoke and fire in the upper floors. Two Lakewood officers entered the home and tried to make their way up the staircase to the bedroom but were pushed back by the flames.
The officers then tried with a ladder to enter the home through a window, and upon breaking the glass one officer suffered cuts to his wrist and a shard of glass in an eye.
Firefighters then arrived and were able to make entry, where they discovered a 6-year-old boy in an upstairs bedroom unconscious.
The 6-year-old was brought outside and CPR was immediately performed before he was transferred to Kimball Medical Center. He was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
The boy's 9-year-old brother was also rushed to the hospital in critical condition suffering burns and smoke inhalation.
The mother, father and 2-year-old appear to have non-life threatening injuries.
The two officers, along with two EMTs, also suffered smoke inhalation. All are in stable condition.
new jersey, ocean county, fire, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack 9 min ago
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 11 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos