Flim-flam robbers caught on camera in Center City Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - January 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police are asking for the public's help identifying a pair of flim-flam artists caught on camera robbing a man in Center City.
It happened on December 14th at 5:00 p.m.
Police say the first suspect approached the victim at 9th and Market Streets and asked him for a cigarette. The second suspect walked up to both men at 10th and Market and engaged victim in conversation.
As the three walked toward 12th and Chestnut Streets, the second suspect asked the victim what he had in his pockets, and the victim told him he had $1600 in cash and an ATM card.
The second suspect said he was from Africa, had never seen an ATM machine and asked the victim to show him how to use one.
When the victim complied, the second suspect grabbed the $1600 from the victim's hand and fled toward Market Street. The first suspect fled toward Chestnut Street.
Police released the following description of the suspects:
Suspect #1: Black male, 50 years-of-age, 5'10", 200 lbs, dark complexion, scruffy black and gray beard, wearing a tan coat, jeans and sneakers. Suspect may frequent the area of 9th and Market Streets.
Suspect #2: Black male, 40 years-of-age, 6'2", 250 lbs, clean shaven, dark complexion, blue coat, jeans and boots. Suspect may have a possible African Accent.
Anyone with information about this crime or these suspects is asked to contact Detective McClain or Detective Parkinson at the Philadelphia Police Department Central Detectives Division at 215-686-3093/3094.
philadelphia, robbery, caught on camera, local/state
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 17 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man gunned down at water ice stand 27 min ago
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia 25 min ago
- Bicyclist shoots young man in face in Southwest Philadelphia 17 min ago
- Man shot in the head in Camden; suspect sought 23 min ago
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Man gunned down at water ice stand
27 min ago