Flim-flam robbers caught on camera in Center City Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - January 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police are asking for the public's help identifying a pair of flim-flam artists caught on camera robbing a man in Center City.
It happened on December 14th at 5:00 p.m.
Police say the first suspect approached the victim at 9th and Market Streets and asked him for a cigarette. The second suspect walked up to both men at 10th and Market and engaged victim in conversation.
As the three walked toward 12th and Chestnut Streets, the second suspect asked the victim what he had in his pockets, and the victim told him he had $1600 in cash and an ATM card.
The second suspect said he was from Africa, had never seen an ATM machine and asked the victim to show him how to use one.
When the victim complied, the second suspect grabbed the $1600 from the victim's hand and fled toward Market Street. The first suspect fled toward Chestnut Street.
Police released the following description of the suspects:
Suspect #1: Black male, 50 years-of-age, 5'10", 200 lbs, dark complexion, scruffy black and gray beard, wearing a tan coat, jeans and sneakers. Suspect may frequent the area of 9th and Market Streets.
Suspect #2: Black male, 40 years-of-age, 6'2", 250 lbs, clean shaven, dark complexion, blue coat, jeans and boots. Suspect may have a possible African Accent.
Anyone with information about this crime or these suspects is asked to contact Detective McClain or Detective Parkinson at the Philadelphia Police Department Central Detectives Division at 215-686-3093/3094.
philadelphia, robbery, caught on camera, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police