Flim-flam robbers caught on camera in Center City Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - January 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police are asking for the public's help identifying a pair of flim-flam artists caught on camera robbing a man in Center City.
It happened on December 14th at 5:00 p.m.
Police say the first suspect approached the victim at 9th and Market Streets and asked him for a cigarette. The second suspect walked up to both men at 10th and Market and engaged victim in conversation.
As the three walked toward 12th and Chestnut Streets, the second suspect asked the victim what he had in his pockets, and the victim told him he had $1600 in cash and an ATM card.
The second suspect said he was from Africa, had never seen an ATM machine and asked the victim to show him how to use one.
When the victim complied, the second suspect grabbed the $1600 from the victim's hand and fled toward Market Street. The first suspect fled toward Chestnut Street.
Police released the following description of the suspects:
Suspect #1: Black male, 50 years-of-age, 5'10", 200 lbs, dark complexion, scruffy black and gray beard, wearing a tan coat, jeans and sneakers. Suspect may frequent the area of 9th and Market Streets.
Suspect #2: Black male, 40 years-of-age, 6'2", 250 lbs, clean shaven, dark complexion, blue coat, jeans and boots. Suspect may have a possible African Accent.
Anyone with information about this crime or these suspects is asked to contact Detective McClain or Detective Parkinson at the Philadelphia Police Department Central Detectives Division at 215-686-3093/3094.
philadelphia, robbery, caught on camera, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ