Auditing error leaves Reading Schools out millions
READING, Pa. - January 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Reading School district is $11 to $15 million in the hole because of an auditing error.
The shortfall could put the payroll in jeopardy as early as March, leaving thousands of employees without a paycheck.
The district was already dealing with a $40 million budget gap.
It addressed that by closing five schools, eliminating 100 teaching jobs, and raising taxes.
The school board will hold a special meeting Monday to discuss the issue.
school, reading, pennsylvania, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 53 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del. 19 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Video: Train nearly hits senator
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark,...
19 min ago