Parents in Lower Merion unite against gun violence
LOWER MERION TWP., Pa. - January 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Lower Merion Couple is asking the community to take the issue of gun violence into their own hands. According to one statewide organization, it is a trend they are seeing more since the Newtown school shooting.
"We want to be for gun violence what MADD was for drunk driving, that we can start a national conversation and make the changes that needs to happen," said Shawn Kraemer.
Shawn Kraemer and her husband Tom formed Lower Merion United. The idea is based on Newtown United, a grassroots organization formed through Facebook following the shooting massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
"We think that grassroots, door-to-door, town-to-town is the way to influence change legislatively and socially," said Shawn.
The couple is not alone.
Ceasefire PA's Orla Treacy continues to see a sharp increase in communities like Lower Merion pushing for change.
"I think for a lot of parents the shooting in Connecticut has really touched base, it's hitting home. This isn't a big city problem," said Orla.
"They are our reason for living and reason for taking action," said Shawn.
"I m just tired of all of this that is happening," said Liz Henry of Havertown. "It makes me sad. I feel like I can't just sit back and not do anything about it anymore."
Liz Henry has two kids. Her mother fears armed security in classrooms.
"I don't think it's a good idea for the children to go to school and see guns," she said.
One of the main goals of the group is to put pressure on lawmakers to pass more gun reform legislation. In mid-January, they plan to take a trip to the state capital in Harrisburg.
guns, montgomery county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver killed in collision with Taxi Cab in Olney 30 min ago
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Clouds to sun, cool today
7 min ago