2 more to go on trial in Philly clergy-abuse case
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - January 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Roman Catholic priest and a former Catholic school teacher are set to go on trial on charges they raped a former altar boy.
Jury selection is to begin Monday in the case of the Rev. Charles Engelhardt and Bernard Shero. It had been spun off from last year's high-profile trial of a church official accused of helping the Philadelphia archdiocese cover up abuse complaints.
The 65-year-old Engelhardt and the 49-year-old Shero have pleaded not guilty. They are accused of assaulting an altar boy from northeast Philadelphia in the late 1990s.
Their lawyers wanted them tried separately from the defendants in last year's case. The 61-year-old Rev. William Lynn is appealing his landmark conviction in that case, while serving a three- to six-year prison term.
trial, child abuse, children, philadelphia, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 44 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 20 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
44 min ago