5-year-old's dog shot and killed outside Delco home
CHESTER TWP., Pa. - January 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Delaware County are searching for the culprits who shot and killed a beloved family pet.
5-year-old Shirley Sims loved her Saint Bernard, Clara.
"I miss Clara a lot," Shirley said.
It was just after 9:00 p.m. Thursday when police say someone walked into the Sims' family backyard, unclipped the dog, and shot her in the head multiple times in an alley behind the house.
"By the time we ran outside I saw her body lying down in the alleyway," Clara's owner Cheryl Sims said.
Police found a .9MM shell casing at the scene. Neighbors reported seeing two people running away.
Police tell Action News they are following up on a few solid leads.
"My daughter was just heartbroken over it. She was just screaming and crying," Cheryl said.
"I don't like when people shoot Clara," Shirley said.
Now Cheryl is trying to explain to Shirley what happened.
"This was an intentional, cruel, vicious act to an animal," Cheryl said.
Chester police are asking anyone with information to give them a call.
pennsylvania, delaware county, animal abuse, local/state
- Homes damaged by Ocean County forest fire
- Winds Ease Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Wedding crashers caught on camera
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 1 min ago
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests