5-year-old's dog shot and killed outside Delco home
CHESTER TWP., Pa. - January 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Delaware County are searching for the culprits who shot and killed a beloved family pet.
5-year-old Shirley Sims loved her Saint Bernard, Clara.
"I miss Clara a lot," Shirley said.
It was just after 9:00 p.m. Thursday when police say someone walked into the Sims' family backyard, unclipped the dog, and shot her in the head multiple times in an alley behind the house.
"By the time we ran outside I saw her body lying down in the alleyway," Clara's owner Cheryl Sims said.
Police found a .9MM shell casing at the scene. Neighbors reported seeing two people running away.
Police tell Action News they are following up on a few solid leads.
"My daughter was just heartbroken over it. She was just screaming and crying," Cheryl said.
"I don't like when people shoot Clara," Shirley said.
Now Cheryl is trying to explain to Shirley what happened.
"This was an intentional, cruel, vicious act to an animal," Cheryl said.
Chester police are asking anyone with information to give them a call.
pennsylvania, delaware county, animal abuse, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police